Saturday, May 6, 2017

Threat to Privacy is Getting Ubiquitous

The opening screen on my Nissan Rogue states that data on the car will be transmitted to Nissan. I wrote asking what data, who gets its, how it will be used. I asked if it is available to government officials. They replied that a black box has been in Nissans since 2006. Car functions are being monitored, and that, yes, the data would be available to government entities when appropriate. They did not say they would need a court order to reveal the content.I am now asking, how to turn it off, and how to disconnect the black box recorder.

So, Nissan knows everything about my use of the car. The police can prove I was speeding. The wife can prove I was at my mistress's address on a specific date. (Just kidding, Honey. I could not handle two bosses.)

It gets worse. My son in law was discussing a product in his living room, with all appliances off. He then began receiving ads on this product. The likely source of his privacy breach was the microphone of his turned off smart TV, or his cellphone running Android, or his X-Box. It is waiting for instructions to turn on, for example. However, while waiting, it might be transmitting the conversation in the living room to Google.

Wifi holograms of objects behind walls are now possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment